Friday 3 April 2009

Tadpoles!

I've been wildlife gardening for a long time, but it's all fallen apart a bit in the last couple of years - mainly to do with mowing the lawn, which I hate!

I've got two ponds, both tiny, just for wildlife. I live on Essex clay and I'm not digging any deeper than I have to, so tiny ponds it is. One has been there for 8 years, the other is a year or so younger. I also have as many habitats as anyone can squeeze into a 60' garden on a large housing estate a stone's throw from the A12.

The fork is to show the scale! The ponds have been very neglected, one of them only had about an inch or so of water in it, as the stupid reeds had taken over so much. The other had a huge ants nest next to it, which finally toppled over, landed in the pond and started becoming a lawn.


I kept meaning to sort them out, but the frogs kept spawning before I got around to it. Yeah, I know, I had a year between each time ...

Today I just dug them all out, and was left with nothing in the ponds except tadpoles and muddy water. I've throw in some lettuce for the tadders, and will be topping up with new plants over the coming weeks.

As I've now got so little time for everything in my life, I thought what more could I try to squeeze in, so I'm going to get my wildlife garden back up to scratch, and will be blogging it.

1 comment:

  1. Cool blog. We have frogs in our back garden as there are a lot of ponds around us. You can hear them calling out at night to each other if you sit outside with a drink (as we did yesterday).

    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete