Thursday 23 April 2009

Tadpole Killer

Sadly one of the ponds is completely turning into something really nasty, and nothing appears to have survived. This is a shame, as it's the one that the frogs don't spawn in, and every year, I put some spawn/tadpoles into it from the other pond. They never seem to live.

The water has gone completely green! Everything was dead in there - no tadpoles at all. So am in the process of emptying it.


To show how green it is, here it is in a white container, against the grass. Please excuse very nosy terriers who wouldn't get out of the way (and tasted it - yuk!).


The other pond isn't doing too badly. Admittedly it's brown, but I'm not sure what to do about that - I think it's the soil at the bottom. Once the tadpoles have moved on I will investigate.


Also a short while ago I planted a couple of fruit trees for the wildlife.
Pear

and Apple.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if the green is as a result of buildup of some kind of nitrogen containing compound? Have you got runoff from a amnure heap nearby?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's the water I used to top it up after I'd taken the reeds out. I used tap water and some from a barrel, and I think the barrel was just nasty.

    ReplyDelete